Cost Per Serving: $1.01
Yields 6 Servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced thickly
- 2 5 oz. cans tuna in water, drained and flaked (Can substitute one can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and mashed)
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup rolled oats blended into a flour
- 2 eggs (Can substitute one mashed avocado)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced finely
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray or you can rub your pan with a little olive oil
- Optional: 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes or 1/2 a spicy pepper (jalapeno, serrano, etc.), diced finely
Suggested Dipping Sauces
- Greek yogurt sauce with chives and lemon juice
- Remoulade sauce
- In a medium pot, bring water to a boil and add sweet potatoes.
- Cook them for about 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and rum then under cold, running water. Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the tuna (or mashed chickpeas), green onions, oats, eggs (or avocado), onion, bell pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Use your hand to shape into 12 patties.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add cooking spray or your olive oil.
- Cook patties for 3 minutes on both sides or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
**Recipe adapted from Primavera Kitchen.