Cost Per Serving: $0.32
Yields 16 Servings
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. maple syrup (can substitute equal amount vanilla extract)
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 roasted or steamed beet, diced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup + 1 heaping Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (can substitute equal amount vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks are just about to form.
- Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like. Cover and place in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place beets in a blender and pulverize. Measure out a 1/2 cup of the beet puree and set it aside.
- Pour milk into a small bowl and whisk in vinegar. Let the milk curdle slightly, about 5-10 minutes.
- Line 2 muffin pans with paper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add sugar, butter, maple syrup, and pureed beets to the curdled milk and beat with an electric beater until it’s fomy.
- Gently and slowly, add the sifted ingredients to the wet ingredients and continue to beat the cupcake mix until it is smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the muffin liners, filling each halfway. Bake for 18-25 minutes on the center rack. Test by inserting a toothpick into 2 separate spots in a cupcake. When it comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Top each cupcake with a dollop of your homemade whipped cream. Enjoy!
**Recipe adapted from Real Mom Nutrition.