Cost Per Serving: $1.45
Yields 2-4 Servings
- 1 (15 ounces) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 stalks green onion (or ½ small onion)
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 cup chopped shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (feel free to use any color)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp. dried dill (or fresh, to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. dried/ fresh chopped basil, plus extra to taste
- Multi-grain sandwich bread
- Arugula or romaine lettuce
Optional Lean Protein:
- Red Onion
- Sandwich spread (hummus, cream cheese, guacamole)
- Mash chickpeas with a potato masher (or a fork) until texture appears flaked, almost like tuna salad.
- Chop your green onion, celery, shredded carrots, pepper, and pickles. Add these to your chickpeas.
- Stir in yogurt, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, dill, salt, and pepper. Make sure all is blended together.
- Adjust any ingredients to taste.
- Pile high on multigrain bread for a hearty sandwich or enjoy as a wrap. You can also snack on this dish with crackers, use it as a salad topper, or eat it right out of the bowl!
**Recipe adapted from Jenn Laughlin of ‘Peas and Crayons’.