Cost Per Serving: $1.09
Yields 4-6 Servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tsp. fresh sage, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups lightly packed spinach, chopped
Optional Lean Protein:
- Chicken breast
- Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- Crushed red pepper
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, zucchini, celery, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook 5-7 more minutes.
- Add beans and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted (3 minutes).
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, if so desired, and enjoy!
**Recipe adapted from Yummy Healthy Easy.