Cost Per Serving: $0.95
Yields 6 Servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 lb. butternut squash, diced in 1/2″ cubes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 oz.) red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup cheese (Monterey jack, pepper jack, or similar)
- 6 8″ whole wheat tortillas
Optional Lean Protein:
- Shredded chicken breast
- Ground turkey
- Fresh cilantro
- Shredded cheese
- Red onion
- Sour cream
- Plain Greek yogurt with lemon
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9″x13″ baking dish with nonstick spray or a bit of olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the squash, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Sauté until the squash is softened, but not mushy (6-8 minutes), stirring occasionally. Taste test for consistency.
- Add the beans and cook until warmed through, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish.
- Fill the tortillas with 1/2 cup of squash and bean filling. Roll snugly and arrange side by side in the dish, seam-side down.
- Pour the remaining sauce over enchiladas and top with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- Let cool slightly and add your favorite toppings!
**Recipe adapted from Well Plated by Erin.