Cost Per Serving: $1.86
Yields 4 Servings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 9-12 red potatoes, sliced into medallions
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 13 oz. coconut milk
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Hot sauce
Optional Lean Meat Protein to Add:
- Poached or roasted chicken breast
- Turkey bacon
- Italian seasoned turkey sausage
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Combine potatoes and mushrooms and add to pot. Stir frequently for 3 more minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and water and add seasoning, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes, until potatoes are soft).
- Add coconut milk, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Top with cheese, hot sauce or extra pepper flakes if you wish, and enjoy!
**Recipe courtesy of HCFB Communications Coordinator, Mallory Best