Cost Per Serving: $2.05
Yields 4 Servings
Spring Pasta Medley
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- Breadcrumb Topping
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender, but still firm), about 9 to 11 minutes. Stir occasionally. Drain the pasta and set aside, reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour the chicken stock into the pan and bring mixture to a simmer. Cook until the stock is reduced by half (about 3 minutes).
- Combine asparagus mixture and cooked pasta in a serving bowl. Toss well, adding reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta.
- Garnish with basil and your homemade breadcrumbs and serve!
- 1/2 loaf of French bread (or any crusty bread), sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Heat oven to 275°F and toast bread for about 10 minutes.
- Crumble toast by hand or use a food processor.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, seasoning, and salt.
- Add breadcrumbs to pan and toast for about 2 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are infused with flavors. Be careful not to burn.
- Spread breadcrumbs out on a towel to cool and dry.
**Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis: Everyday Italian.