- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 cup masa harina or cornmeal
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Crunchy tortilla strips
- Fresh lime
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot and sauté minced onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne and sauté for one minute more.
- Add the masa harina or cornmeal and sauté for 2-3 additional minutes. The corn may stick to the bottom of the pot as you sauté. If it does, turn the heat down to prevent it from burning.
- Whisk the vegetable broth into the corn mixture and allow it to come up to a simmer.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until it dissolves.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (with juices), black beans (drained and rinsed), and frozen corn.
- Peel and cut the sweet potato into 1/2 inch cubes, then add it to the pot.
- Cover the pot and allow the soup to come up to a simmer over medium heat. Once it begins to simmer, turn the heat down to low and let it cook for 30 more minutes, or until the sweet potatoes have softened. Stir the soup occasionally to keep the corn from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Recipe courtesy of Taylor Zinke