1 and 1/2 c. macaroni noodles, uncooked
3-4 c. cubed butternut squash, peeled and de-seeded
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 apple, peeled and chopped
1/3 c. onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 c. vegetable broth
3/4 c. milk
1 and 1/4 c. cheese, I used sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper
1 tsp. paprika
*Optional: Fresh parsley
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium low heat, sauté the onions, garlic and apple until soft and fragrant (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, peel the butternut squash and remove the seeds. Cut into large chunks.
- Boil the squash until completely tender and then drain. Place the squash in the blender with the butter mixture, a pinch of salt, pepper, broth, paprika, and milk.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked noodles and add the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with parsley if desired.
**Recipe adapted by Nutrition and Food Program Manager, Kirby Stewart.