Mexican Quinoa Salad
Mixed greens of choice (stronger greens like romaine are best)
1 1/2 – 2 c. cooked quinoa (red, white or mixed)
1 cup fresh, canned, or frozen corn, thawed
2 cans cooked black beans (about 3 c.) seasoned with equal pinches of salt, cumin, chili, and garlic powder
1/2 c. red onion, diced
2 oranges, segmented
1 ripe avocado, chopped
Cilantro to taste
- Cook quinoa according to instructions. The standard method is to bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1-cup well-rinsed and drained quinoa. Stir, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To prepare salad ingredients, start by cleaning, chopping or tearing salad greens.
- Dice red onion, peel and segment orange, and mix with rinsed corn.
- If using canned beans, rinse well and warm slightly on stove or in microwave. Season with equal pinches salt, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder
- At this point, you may add 1-2 cups quinoa and/or beans to vegetable-orange mixture. Then add dressing to taste. Plate on to salad greens. If you prefer, add quinoa and beans and vegetable-orange mix separately. Add more dressing if desired. Excellent with extra salsa and chips.
Orange Lime Dressing
1 lg. lime, juiced (about 4 Tbsp.)
3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1-2 tsp. sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave nectar, cane sugar)
1-2 tsp. hot sauce (Frank’s, Tabasco, etc.)
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/8 tsp. chili powder
Healthy pinch salt and black pepper
1 Tbsp. cilantro (optional)
1 1/2-2 Tbsp. olive oil
Prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust to taste, adding a bit more hot sauce, salt, etc.