2 oz. pancetta, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
1 sm. carrot, peeled and cut in. 1/2 in. pieces
1 sm. celery rib, but into 1/2 in. pieces
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 onion, halved and cut into 1 in. pieces
1 (14 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
1 anchovy fillet, rinsed, patted dry, and minced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsps. minced fresh rosemary
2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas (do not drain)
2 c. water
Salt and Pepper
8 oz (1 1/2 c.) ditalini
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Process pancetta in food processor until ground to paste, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add carrot, celery, and garlic and pulse until finely chopped, 8 to 10 pulses.
- Add onion and pulse until onion is cut into 1/8 in. to 1/4 in. pieces, 8 to 10 pulses. Transfer pancetta mixture to large Dutch oven.
- Pulse tomatoes in now-empty food processor until coarsely chopped , 8 to 10 pulses. Set aside.
- Add oil to pancetta mixture in Dutch oven and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fond begins to form on bottom of pot, about 5 minutes.
- Add anchovy, pepper flakes, and rosemary and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, chickpeas and their liquid, water, and 1 tsp. salt and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, passing Parmesan and extra oil separately.