12 oz. frozen shelled edamame
1/2 c. finely chopped green onion
4 lg. garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsp. EVOO
1 lg. very ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, but in chunks
3 tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
1/2 c. Water
1/2 tsp. salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook edamame until softened, about 5-7 min. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool.
- In a small skillet, over medium low heat, sauté half of onion and garlic in 1 T. of the oil, about 3 min. until softented, taking care not to burn garlic.
- Transfer cooked edamame to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add sautéed and raw onions and garlic, remaining 2 T. oil, avocado, lemon juice, and water. Process until very smooth, scraping down sides of processor as needed.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Add extra lemon or lime juice if needed.
- Serve with chilled cucumber and/or tomato slices.
1 c. shelled hemp seeds
2-3 c. fresh cilantro, packed (parsley, basil, arugula can be used. Start w/2 C.)
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. lemon juice, or to taste
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
2/3 c. water
2 tbsp. EVOO
2-3 tsp. nutritional yeast (optional, but adds a cheesy flavor)
- Place hemp seeds in a food processor fitted with the ‘S’ blade. Grind until powdery.
- Add cilantro and pulse to combine well.
- Add salt, pepper, lemon, garlic, and nutritional yeast, and pulse again.
- With motor running, add water in a thin stream. Scrape down bowl as needed.
- With motor still running, finish pesto by drizzling in the olive oil.
Assembling the Meal
- Peel and “noodle” 1 large or 2 small zucchini per person in ½” or less ribbons and place in mixing bowl. (Place zucchini horizontally on cutting board. Using peeler, slice left to right—if right-handed—in ribbons. Keep zucchini moving, i.e., slice, turn, slice, turn, etc., until you reach center seeds. Stop at this point for a drier noodle. Save remainder for other use.)
- Dice or quarter fresh tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Dice sun-dried tomatoes if necessary.
- Peel and slice cucumbers in to ¼” rounds.
- To serve, add 2-4 T. pesto to each serving of zucchini fettuccini in mixing bowl. Mix with tongs. Add fresh and sun-dried tomatoes and mix gently.
- Place in serving bow. Add a small scoop of guacamole to side and garnish with 2-3 cucumber slices.